Sunday, December 2, 2012

Life


I'm 4, in the back of Dad's Chevy,
Not feeling well, and voices are singing
In the stars against the black velvet drop,
and they don't stop
until the doors open and they slip inside
to start the ride
for home.
Can you hear me?  Are you there?

I'm 9, going on 10, in the back of Dad's Ford,
Heart heavy as I wave goodbye
To my boyhood friend running through the yards
trying to mend the shards
until around the corner we turn,
and the tears burn
for home.
Can you hear me?  Are you there?

I'm 14, in the back of a field,
Confusion abounding in adolescent fury
In the midst of changes I don't quite grasp
childhood's last gasp
until exhaustion steps in
and the journey I begin
for home.
Can you hear me?  Are you there?

I'm 18, in the back of the Bay with Ocean in sight
Adolescence behind me as I breath salt air
Mind spinning with thoughts I don't understand
standing in sand
until day's light fades
and I pull back the shades
of home.
Can you hear me?  Are you there?
Can we share?

cd - 120112

No comments:

Post a Comment